Certificate of Residence Application

Why do I need a Certificate of Residence?

A Certificate of Residence issued by your home county (any borough of New York City) entitles you to pay the resident tuition fee when attending a New York State community college outside of New York City rather than the higher, non-resident rate. The New York City Comptroller issues these certificates to qualified residents living within the five boroughs of New York City.
The Certificate is effective for one year from the date it is issued. You must apply for and submit a new certificate to your college every year at the beginning of the semester of which you attend. Failure to submit a Certificate of Residence along with your tuition payment will result in you being charged the higher non-resident rate, WHICH IS NOT REFUNDABLE.


  1. Resident of New York State for at least one (1) year prior to date of application, and also
  2. Resident of New York City for at least six (6) months prior to date of application.

Note: Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, while on full-time active duty and stationed within New York State, and their spouses and dependents are eligible for the resident tuition rate.


  1. Complete the AFFIDAVIT and have it NOTARIZED (Comptroller’s Office DOES NOT notarize).Download AFFIDAVIT and directions in pdf (these two pages can be printed as a double-sided document.)Get Acrobat Reader
  2. Present the NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT, plus two items of proof of residency IN PERSON to:
    Office of the Comptroller
    1 Centre Street
    Municipal Building, Room 1329
    New York, NY 10007
    (Open only Mon. – Fri. 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)Proof of residency must show applicant’s address (not P.O. Box or in care of a third party) and include the applicant’s name. ONE FORM OF PROOF MUST BE DATED MORE THAN SIX MONTHS FROM YOUR DATE OF APPLICATION AND ONE DATED WITHIN SIX MONTHS FROM DATE OF APPLICATION.
  3. Examples of acceptable proof of residency are:

    • lease or deed, or if not available, a letter from a landlord on the landlord’s letterhead indicating dates of tenancy and rent payments
    • postmarked envelope mailed to you at your current address, dated less than six (6) months ago
    • prior year’s income tax return (parents’ or parent’s tax return, if listed as dependent)
    • homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy
    • driver’s license or automobile registration certificate
    • bank statement
    • automobile insurance policy
    • utility bill
    • cell phone bill
    • selective service card
    • voter registration.

    NOTE: If residing with parent, you may bring one of the above proofs that show the permanent, New York City address of the parent/student residence, along with a letter signed by parent and notarized that states the student is now, and has been for a period of one year, living with that parent.

  4. Any questions regarding the above may be directed to: 212-669-2784.