Certificate of Residence


Why do I need a Certificate of Residence?

A Certificate of Residence issued by your home county (any borough of New York City) entitles you to pay the resident tuition fee when attending a New York State community college outside of New York City rather than the higher, non-resident rate. The New York City Comptroller issues these certificates to qualified residents living within the five boroughs of New York City.

The Certificate is effective for one year from the date it is issued. You must apply for and submit a new certificate to your college every year at the beginning of the semester of which you attend. This must be done within a three month window, beginning two months before the start of the semester and ending one month after the start of the semester. Failure to submit a Certificate of Residence along with your tuition payment will result in you being charged the higher non-resident rate, which is not refundable.

Eligibility Requirements:

  1. Resident of New York State for at least one (1) year prior to date of application, and
  2. Resident of New York City for at least six (6) months prior to date of application.

Note: Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, while on full-time active duty and stationed within New York State, and their spouses and dependents are eligible for the resident tuition rate.