Electronic Claim FAQs
1. What is the eClaim system?
The eClaim system is a means for filing claims against the City of New York electronically. The eClaim system can be accessed here.
Pursuant to an update to New York State General Municipal Law § 50-e, the Comptroller’s Office provides for the electronic filing of claims via the eClaim system.
2. What are the benefits of electronic filing?
Electronic filing allows for a faster claim processing time. It also offers more flexibility in filing options to both attorneys and pro se claimants. Anyone with access to a computer and internet access can file a claim at any time using the eClaim system. The eClaim system allows for quick filing of a notice of claim with no postage expenses or handling costs.
3. What types of claims can be filed electronically using the eClaim system?
ONLY tort claims – personal injury and property damage claims – can be filed electronically using the eClaim system.
4. Where can I obtain the necessary forms to use the eClaim system?
Claim forms can be found in the eClaim Claim Forms section.
5. How do I download claim forms to be filed electronically?
In order to download the claim form, the computer must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have the plug-in program needed to read these files, please download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
To select the appropriate claim form, go here. Download and save the selected claim form. Fill out the claim form and save to the computer. When you are ready to upload your claim, select Begin Filing an eClaim.
6. What is the step-by-step process to file an electronic claim using the eClaim system?
- Select the appropriate claim form. Download and save it to the computer.
- Complete the claim form. You must complete all required fields indicated by an asterisk (*). The claim will not be accepted without completing all required fields.
- Save the completed claim form to the computer.
- After the claim form is complete and ready to be filed with the Comptroller’s Office, click “Begin eClaim Filing Process.”
- To continue the eClaim filing process, you must certify that all of the information provided is true and correct. To certify, select “I Agree.”
- In order to submit your claim, select “Choose File” and select your saved claim form. Then select “Upload.”
- The system will electronically review the claim form file. If the claim form is successfully reviewed, it will be accepted. If the claim form is not accepted, return to the claim form and correct any errors.
- After successfully uploading the claim form you will have the opportunity to attach any supporting documents or photos in JPEG, TIFF, or PDF. Each document must be attached individually. There is no limit to the number of attached documents or photos, but the maximum file size is 20MB.
- Select “Continue” to electronically file claim and supporting documents.
- Select the “File Claim” button to submit your claim form and any attached documents or photos.
- Download and save or print the “eCLAIM Receipt” for future reference.
7. When can electronic claims be filed?
Filing via the eClaim system will allow you to file a claim at any time of day.
8. Which claims cannot be filed electronically using the eClaim system?
Claims such as contract disputes and assessment protests cannot be filed electronically at this time.
9. Can I make corrections to the claim form before it is electronically filed?
If the wrong claim form is submitted or the wrong documents are attached and the submission has not been finalized and submitted (by selecting “File Claim”), you have the opportunity to cancel the transaction and start over.
If there is an error on the claim form and the claim form has not been finalized and submitted, you can cancel the filing process and edit the claim form. Once you correct the error, you can restart the notice of claim filing process and upload the corrected notice of claim.
10. How do I know if my filing has been received?
After submitting a claim using the eClaim system, a message confirming receipt of your submission (“eCLAIM Receipt”) will appear on the screen. This message should be downloaded and saved or printed. Please retain the “eCLAIM Receipt” for your records.
11. Who do I contact if I have questions about the eClaim filing process?
Office of the New York City Comptroller
Bureau of Law & Adjustment
1 Centre Street, Room 1220
New York, NY 10007
TTY: (212) 669-3450
12. Can I call at any time if I need assistance?
Calls are answered Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. If assistance is required outside of these hours, you can leave a voice message with your telephone number for a response the next business day.
13. What should I do if the eClaim system is unavailable for filings due to a technical failure?
In the event of a technical failure, the claim* may be served by personal delivery or sent by registered or certified mail to:Office of the New York City Comptroller
1 Centre Street, Room 1225
New York, NY 10007