Tax Reporting Guidelines

1099 FAQs

1099-MISC & 1099-INT Reporting FAQs

1. What should I do if I do not agree with the amounts reported on my 1099-MISC or 1099-INT?

  • Review your payments by registering with the Payee Information Portal in order to identify discrepancies with the amounts reported on your 1099-MISC or 1099-INT.
  • If you have identified errors or otherwise disagree with the reported amounts, please contact the City agency that you provided services to in order to resolve the problem.

If 1099 recipients cannot satisfactorily resolve their issue with the City agency, they may contact the FISA Call Center (212) 857-1700 or email the Comptrollers Office at Please note that the Comptroller’s Office cannot provide tax advice to 1099 recipients.

2. What determines the generation of a 1099-MISC?

Two primary factors determine whether or not you receive a Form 1099-MISC.

  • The first factor is your business classification. The IRS has determined that individuals, sole proprietors, partnerships, trusts, certain limited liability companies, estates, resident/non-resident aliens, and joint ventures are subject to 1099-MISC reporting. Other business types, such as certain corporations, are exempt from 1099-MISC reporting.
  • The second factor depends on the type of payment made to you. Generally, the following payments for services categorized under a 1099-MISC form:
Type of Payment 1099-MISC Box Number
Rentals 1
Employee Death Benefits 3
Medical and Health Care Payments 6
Non-Employee Compensation 7
Gross Proceeds Paid to an Attorney 14

The City of New York reports a majority of its payments under non-employee compensation (Box 7) for services rendered as professional services. These services include auditors, consultants, actuaries, and business services such as repairs, mechanical, and temporary personnel.

For more information regarding the reportability of payments reported on Form 1099-MISC, please visit or

3. What determines the generation of a 1099-INT for vendors?

Payments reported on Form 1099-INT primarily involve interest generated from late payments to vendors.

4. As a vendor, will I receive separate 1099 forms for each City agency that paid me?

The City of New York issues consolidated forms for payments classified under 1099-MISC and 1099-INT forms. The consolidated forms reflect reportable income from all City agencies issued by the City’s Financial Management System (with the exception of the Department of Education and School Construction Authority).

5. What are the minimum amounts reported on a 1099 form?

The City of New York complies with IRS stipulated minimum income amounts (known as reporting thresholds) for each 1099 box on Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-INT. Forms 1099 will not be generated if the following minimum reporting thresholds are not met:

1099 Form 1099 Box Threshold
Rentals Rentals 1
1099-MISC 1 – Rent $600
3 – Other Income $600
6 – Medical & Healthcare Payments $600
7 – Nonemployee Compensation $600
14 – Gross Proceeds Paid to an Attorney 0
1099-INT 1 – INTerest Income $10

6. Who should I contact for a listing of payments reported on my 1099?

The Payee Information Portal provides a listing of payments reported on your 1099. Please note that Vendors will need to register for the Payee Information Portal to gain access to payments.