The Comptroller of the City of New York
Municipal Building - Room 1225
1 Centre Street
New York, New York 10007
The Notice of Claim should be in writing on the enclosed forms or in a similar format. The Notice of Claim must be Notarized and served Personally or by Certified Mail within ninety (90) days from the date of the occurrence.
- Tort Claims against the following authorities should NOT be filed with the Comptroller's Office.
New York City Transit Authority
New York City Housing Authority
Triboro Bridge & Tunnel Authority
Port Authority of NY and NJ
Manhattan, Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MABSTOA)
New York City School Construction Authority
New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation
Staten Island Rapid Transit Authority
MTA Bus Company
Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Hugh L. Carey Battery Park City Authority
Tort Claims against any of the above authorities must be filed directly with the authority involved.
- Local Law No. 82 of 1979 provides, in part:
"No Civil action shall be maintained against the City for damage to property or injury to person or death sustained in consequence of any street or sidewalk...being out of repair... unless it appears that written notice was actually given to the commissioner of transportation or any person or department authorized by the commissioner to receive such Notice (Department of Transportation, Canal Street Station, P.O. Box 465, New York, N.Y. 10013) or where there was previous injury to person or property as a result of the existence of the defective, unsafe, dangerous or obstructed condition, and written notice thereof was given to a city agency, or there was written acknowledgment from the City of the defective condition.....and there was a failure to neglect within fifteen days after receipt of such Notice to repair or remove the defect.....or the place otherwise made reasonable safe.
All forms are in the Adobe .pdf format. If you do not have the plug-in program needed to read these files, you can obtain it by following this link. http://get.adobe.com/reader/
CLAIMS AGAINST THE CITY OF NEW YORKPersonal Injury:
Personal Injury and Property Damage claims can now be filed electronically via eClaim. The first step is to download the type of claim form you wish to file from the list below. Follow the directions within the form. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to investigate your claim.
Please note that you must use the Adobe Reader to fill out the form. This is especially true for Macintosh users. Claim forms not completed using the Adobe Reader will not be acceptedStep-by-step Instructions
- Pick a claim form and save it.
- Complete the claim form on your PC/laptop. The more information you can fill in the easier it will be to investigate your claim.
- When you have completed the claim form and are ready to file your claim with the Comptroller’s Office, please click the below “Begin e-claims Filing Process” button.
- Continue eClaim filing process by certifying all of the information that will be provided is true and correct.
- Attach completed claim form.
- The system will electronically review the claim file for errors.
- If claim form is not accepted, correct errors.
- If claim form is successfully reviewed and accepted, you may attach supporting documents if documents are available in a JPEG, TIFF, or Adobe (PDF)format. You may attach as many supporting documents as you want, but each document must be attached individually.
- Electronically file claim and supporting documents (if you have attached documents).
- Wait for receipt, print and save for future reference.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Once you have completed and saved the form, including all mandatory data requirements, please click the button below to begin processing the claim.